About Avi Rappoport, Enterprise Search Consultant
I combine a background in information retrieval with years in the software industry to bring a practical and straightforward approach to web search and navigation issues.
Rather than assaulting you with jargon, I want to work with you to make sure that you get the best tools and the fewest problems. Solutions are tailored to your organizational needs and budget, from relatively small sites to giant portals and Intranets. I am very user-focused and practical, using technology to help people find the information they need. Relevance analysis, usability, and training packages are available.
I am now a member of The Search Network, a group of consultants with wide and deep enterprise search expertise
Avi Rappoport – Recent Search Projects
Lowe’s Home Improvement – ecommerce search
- Worked with search team to transfer knowledge and improve analytics for ecommerce engine with millions of queries per day.
- Provided expertise on Lucidworks Fusion Solr/Lucene
- Researched on search auto-suggest functionality, summarized the current academic findings, investigated leading instances
- With Machine Learning expert, defined new auto-suggest ranking model based on frequency, customer behavior tracking, decay factors, merchandising input and other elements.
- Worked with project engineers and testers to implement auto-suggest multivariant (multiple A/B) tests and analyze results, leading to a significant improvement in sales.
Lucidworks, Inc. – enterprise search vendor
- Worked with Lucidworks Fusion search, including Solr, crawling, indexing, relevance tuning, machine learning signals, and search analytics.
- Managed and tuned Intranet search projects with millions of documents
- Consulted on the requirements, UI and functionality of a cloud search system.
- Performed fit-gap analysis and requirements design for a large ecommerce site.
- Managed the internal project for Search Rules (frequently used by online stores) culminating in a successful version update with extensive user and admin documentation.
Cisco Systems – intranet enterprise search
- Performed analysis internal search engine, running on Attivio
- Elements included crawling, auto-suggest, featured terms, query processing, synonyms, relevance, special results, spelling, machine learning automated query expansion, federated search results, and relevance evaluation.
- Used Kibana running on Elastic with Timelion analysis techniques.
Search Technologies – search consulting group, ecommerce
- Apple Online Store search:
- Team lead for improved relevance of ecommerce search results in specialized hardware & accessories store
- Defined synonyms, redirects to other search engines, and auto-suggest entries
- Participated in a full site redesign for 92 countries
- Other Search Projects:
- Worked to respond to RFPs and POCs
- Created corporate search assessments
- Analyzed data input in CMS XML, SQL and other formats.
- Recommended search engines including Solr, Google Search Appliance, SharePoint, and Elasticsearch,
Kaiser-Permanente – intranet search
- Worked with a small team to implement IBM’s Watson Enterprise Search (Vivisimo) across the entire Kaiser Permanente intranet.
- Participated in design and testing of crawling, indexing, query parsing, search retrieval, relevance ranking, user interface and reporting.
- Created extensive search analytics and reports.
- Managed API integration with the IBM Web CMS using a service-oriented architecture and XML.
Additional Consulting Clients
Provided search expertise to large institutions and small companies, evaluating search engines, working to implement, analyzing data, working to improve search usability and quality.
- Council of Better Business Bureaus
- Epson America
- Fair, Isaac
- Google Search Appliance Reviewer Guide
- Kingsford Capital Management
- Kresge Foundation
- Librarian’s Index to the Internet
- Library of Congress
- Proctor & Gamble