Search is more than technology: it is the most powerful tool available to analyze information, and to solve problems correctly, clearly, efficiently and quickly. I became interested in the challenge during graduate school and have been active in this profession ever since. When working on projects as varied as decentralized intranets, corporate enterprise web sites, e-commerce and business directories, my experience provides deep understanding and best practices for successful implementation.
Lucidworks, Inc. Search Consultant, 2017-18
Worked with Lucidworks Fusion search, including crawling, indexing, relevance tuning, machine learning Signals, search analytics and Solr. Managed and tuned Intranet search projects with millions of documents on Box and Google Drive. Consulted on the requirements, UI and functionality of a cloud search system. Performed fit-gap analysis and requirements design for a large ecommerce site. Managed the internal project for Search Rules (frequently used by online stores) culminating in a successful version update with extensive user and admin documentation.
Cisco Systems: Search Project Consultant 2016
Analyzed internal search engine, running on Attivio, including crawling, auto-suggest, featured terms, query processing, synonyms, relevance, special results, spelling, machine learning automated query expansion, federated search results, and relevance evaluation. Worked with Agile team, user stories, successful sprints. Prepared monthly search reports. Created requirements for the planned Search Log Analytics workstation. Used Kibana running on Elastic with Timelion analysis techniques. Worked across teams, including offshore engineering and data science to share Kibana discoveries, in order to make improvements on query and click logs, pre-processing, and analysis tools.
Search Technologies: Senior Search Quality Analyst, 2013-2015
Apple Online Store search: Developed search quality metrics and processes for the Apple Online Store, performed analysis on store query performance and worked with engineering on Endeca to implement changes with positive results. Analyzed machine learning for auto-suggest. Created tests on live and test sites using JSON requests, configuration database in Ruby and SQLite. Recruited and led a team of three other analysis to improve quality on international stores. Worked on implementation of search switching and auto-suggest in the worldwide revamp for the Apple.com site covering marcomm materials, Apple products, accessories, and support search.
Worked with Search Technologies consultants and architects to respond to RFPs, create corporate search assessments, analyze data input in CMS XML, SQL and other formats. Recommended search engines including Solr, Google Search Appliance, SharePoint 2013, Elasticsearch, investigated security processes for mixed public/private search engine. Presented three hour training sessions on Search Quality for at company off-site meetings during both 2014 and 2015.
Kaiser-Permanente: Search Analyst, 2011-2012
Worked with a small team to implement Enterprise Search across the entire Kaiser intranet, about 270,000 pages on several dozen web servers for 160,000 employees. Related projects included managing the implementation of search on the HR sub-site and an internal best practices site. Helped design and tested crawling, indexing, query parsing, search retrieval, relevance ranking, user interface and reporting, working closely with the IT department. Created search log analytics and reports. The search engine was IBM’s Vivisimo Velocity. I managed API integration with the IBM Web Content Management system using a service-oriented architecture and XML.
Independent Consultant – Search Tools Consulting, 1998 – present, clients include:
- Kresge Foundation – Provided expert advice on integrating the Google Search Appliance with the Drupal CMS.
- Amgen – Participated in enterprise search proof of concept and rigorous comparison testing of industry-leading search engines using TREC and other measures.
- LucidWorks – Wrote a white paper on HTML indexing in Solr, and advised on user interface, interaction design and functionality search administration tools
- Kingsford Capital Management – Analyzed information systems, dissemination and retrieval.
- Yodle.com- Provided search best practices for online directory
- Netflix- Performed extensive search log analysis, user interface designand wireframes for search improvements
- ProQuest – Researched and analyzed issues of library standards such as MARC, FRBR, Open Archives and GIS.
- United States Library of Congress – Performed extensive analysis of current search implementations, future search requirements, metadata integration, and user experience improvements.
- Librarian’s Index to the Internet – Analyzed and improved faceted metadata search and browse, and later, their pioneering spellchecker
- VeriSign – Updated and supported search engines on the main public site, international sites, and intranet for several years
- Hewlett-Packard – Analyzed logs and provided recommendations for improving the public site search, performed extensive research on corporate intranet search.
- QwestDex – Performed faceted metadata search RFI, RFP, and recommendation. The entire site was re-designed around this dynamic interaction.
- Google – Edited their early Search Appliance (GSA) Reviewer’s Guide.
- Proctor & Gamble – Advised on intranet search engine selection.
- Epson America – Researched and advised on filtering and alerting engines
- Fair, Isaac – Advised on intranet search engine selection
- Salon.com – Analyzed early implementation of informational site search, leading to significant improvement in the user experience.
- ZDNet – Performed due diligence for site search engine
Staff Positions – Software Development Companies
- Product Manager for StarNine: Responsible for development and release offive complex server and mail applications. 1996-1998.
- User Advocate and Technical Publications Manager for Metrowerks: worked with programming tools including compilers and debuggers for the then-new Power PC. Participated in strategy planning, evangelized to and for developer customers, directed a team documenting IDEs, compilers, debuggers and code libraries. 1994-1996
- Software Design, Development, and Support, Niles Software: Worked with a small team to support, design, manage, and write code for the EndNote bibliography program. 1989-1994.
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Information (aka iSchool and Library and Information Studies), Master of Arts, December 1987. University Fellowship, 1986-87; on the Alumni Association Board of Directors, 1998-99.
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Letters and Sciences, B.A. in Medieval Studies (Individual Major), with Honors, December 1985.