About Avi Rappoport, Search Consultant
I combine a background in information retrieval with years in the software industry to bring a practical and straightforward approach to web search and navigation issues.
Rather than assaulting you with jargon, I want to work with you to make sure that you get the best tools and the fewest problems. Solutions are tailored to your organizational needs and budget, from relatively small sites to giant portals and Intranets. I am very user-focused and practical, using technology to that end. Relevance analysis, usability, and training packages are available.
Avi’s Recent Positions
Lucidworks, Inc. Search Consultant
- Worked with Lucidworks Fusion search, including Solr, crawling, indexing, relevance tuning, machine learning signals, and search analytics.
- Managed and tuned Intranet search projects with millions of documents
- Consulted on the requirements, UI and functionality of a cloud search system.
- Performed fit-gap analysis and requirements design for a large ecommerce site.
- Managed the internal project for Search Rules (frequently used by online stores) culminating in a successful version update with extensive user and admin documentation.
Cisco Systems: Search Project Consultant
- Performed analysis internal search engine, running on Attivio
- Elements included crawling, auto-suggest, featured terms, query processing, synonyms, relevance, special results, spelling, machine learning automated query expansion, federated search results, and relevance evaluation.
- Used Kibana running on Elastic with Timelion analysis techniques.
Search Technologies: Senior Search Quality Analyst
- Apple Online Store search: improved relevance of hardware & accessories ecommerce search results and auto-suggest
- Other Search Projects: worked to respond to RFPs, create corporate search assessments, analyze data input in CMS XML, SQL and other formats. Recommended search engines including Solr, Google Search Appliance, SharePoint 2013, Elasticsearch,
Kaiser-Permanente: Search Analyst
- Worked with a small team to implement Enterprise Search across the entire Kaiser intranet.
Search Tools consulting clients have included:
- Council of Better Business Bureaus
- Library of Congress
- Google Search Appliance Enterprise Search
- Proctor & Gamble
- Epson America
- Fair, Isaac
- Kresge Foundation
- Kingsford Capital Management
- Librarian’s Index to the Internet