Search Tools Product Reports
Price: Contact company, with scanning module, seems to be under $2000
ZyIndex is not quite a search engine -- it's a research tool for complete
recall, appropriate in situations where any missing data could be catastrophic.
It's part of Zylabs Content, Records, and Knowledge Management systems, specializing
in compliance, Legal Firms, Intelligence and Law Enforcement, Financial back
office and related fields.
- Fast indexing of over 250 file formats, including HTML, PDF, Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Integrates with ZyScan to make scanned documents searchable.
- Scheduled updating.
- Wizard and templates for controlling indexing.
- Indexes word position for better relevance ranking.
- Scales to10 million pages, gigabytes of data.
- Translated products for English, German, French, Dutch, Spanish, Italian,
Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Portuguese, Turkish, Greek, Cyrillic,
- Over 200 more languages are supported, including all European languages,
Baltic, African, Romanized Asian and South American languages.
- Can publish to CD-ROM, DVD and external disks, along with free search application.
- Supports NTFS security or optional module to integrate with Zylab access
- Provides a complex set of tools for working with results sets, including
saved searches and similarity searches.
Articles and Reviews
- ZyIndex 5.21 vs. DTSearch
4.0 Software Shootout TopLawfirm.com, approx. January 10 2000 by Aaron
Describes the author's experience testing two full-text search engines on
a pleadings directory of 250 documents and 2.5 MB. Both programs had fast
indexing and retrieval and many search features such as Boolean queries, natural
language queries, stemming and similarity. The Author found dtSearch
more intuitive, with more helpful tools for indexing and display on the search
results, but limited documentation. ZyIndex was more difficult to install,
and includes separate indexing and query applications. It has powerful and
easy-to-use hypertext linking tools and annotations.
- DoD's bugs get stuck
on Web Government Computer Networks, September 15, 1997 by Bill Murray.
Describes how the Defense Pest Management Information Analysis Center uses
the ZyIndex Web Server.
- Text Retrieval Software:
AskSam, Idealist, Isys, Zyindex Law Technology Journal, October 1993
by Wiebina Heesterman
Rather old but nice description of how lawyers can use Zyindex.
Page Updated: 2005-07-22
Search Tools Consulting's principal analyst, Avi Rappoport, may be available to help you with selection, indexing and search log analysis, as well as relevance evaluation, user experience testing, and functional search engine work. Please contact us for more information.