Search Tools Product Report
Visual Net from Antarcti.ca
Warning: this service has been discontinued
As of July, 2005, this tool has become a business analytics
system, rather than a search engine.
Platform: remote search service (ASP)
Price: initially, around $5,000 per month
- Uses both two-dimensional and three-dimensional display techniques.
- Integrates text files with XML and SQL databases and other structured data
- Designed for multilingual information and multiple character sets
- Uses metadata collected by spidering and existing hierarchical taxonomies.
- Scalable to millions of documents.
- Enterprise version available.
- Designed by Tim Bray, co-author of the XML recommendation and builder of
the Open Text and PAT search engines
Articles & Reviews
- Unstructured Data Management:
the elephant in the corner
(guest or customer access required) the451 Report, November 2002 by Nick
Patience and Rachel Chalmers
Discusses the business aspects of the company, markets (enterprise storage
and supply-chain management), competition and the technology. Product could
be a significant value for the chosen markets, but sales are challenging.
It: Antarcti.ca Puts Content on the Map EContent Magazine; August
2001 by Greg R. Notess
Covers the background of the product, including Tim Bray and his ideas about
visualization, the public demo sites, the 2D and 3D versions, and business
- Start-up offers
data visualization Network World Fusion; June 20, 2001 by Carolyn Duffy
Provides examples of enterprise use of Visual Net, such as human resources
and venture capital distribution.
debuts new visual search tools eWeek; June 15, 2001 by Dennis Callaghan
Describes the product and quotes a customer describing the value of the visual
interface, particularly for general searches and discovering information.
- This Map needs no folding NetworkWorld Canada; February 13, 2001
by Carly Suppa
Describes the Visual Net mapping value within an enterprise, including
analyzing the quantity and quality of pages within clusters, and allowing
employees to explore network resources, supplementing search engines. Analyst
Patrick O'Kelly says he was pleasantly surprised by thought-provoking and
useful suggestions based on information in proximity to related items.
- plots two million
web sites from the Open Directory Project onto a map of Antarctica.
Library of Medicine Medline database)
- Canada Venture Capital Deal Map
shows industry types and how much venture capital they are receiving.
Page Updated: 2005-07-25