As of January, 2012, this site is no longer being updated, due to work and health issues
Search Tools Product Report
Platform: Linux, BSD (compiled but not tested on AIX and Solaris).
Price: free, open source, under GNU GPL
Open Source, written in C++ using STL, some use of SQL database
- Command line / config file search administration
- Can index multiple sites at the same time using threads and asynchronous
- Option to show indexing progress (-N)
- HTTP and proxy HTTP and FTP indexing
- Search engine operates while index is updating.
- Option for near-real-time index updating
- Will index documents protected by SSL using HTTPS
- Supports basic authentication (user name and password)
- Indexes HTML and text documents
- Requires external programs or scripts to index other file formats
- Language support includes Unicode for mixing character sets in index, charset
guessing, and language mappings for Roman characters including Czech, Danish,
Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian,
Slovak, Spanish, Turkish, Ukrainian and non-Roman: Arabic, Greek, Hebrew,
Japanese, Chinese (BIG5 and Gb2312) and Korean.
- Duplicate detection
Very scalable, to several million documents
- Zone searching (limit to a site or section of a site)
- Standard and advanced search capabilities, including phrase search, Boolean
queries and wildcard searches.
- Spellchecking with ispell
- Optional stemming for search results.
- Hit highlighting in search results
- Weight given to inbound links (pointing at a page) in relevance ranking
- Local caching of indexed pages
- Easy to customize results pages
- Can cluster search results by site
- Some code based on mnoGoSearch, but they
have taken different paths
Page Updated 2002-09-19