As of January, 2012, this site is no longer being updated, due to work and health issues
Search Tools Product Report
Price: Free for noncommercial sites. For commercial sites, begins at $350 first server, $150 additional public servers.
Platform: Linux, Solaris, Solaris, IRIX, BSDI, FreeBSD, and Windows NT/2000/XP (can run as a service)
Indexes using a robot crawler or local file systems.
Indexes and searches unlimited number of sites (to about 500,000 pages.)
- Handles maps, frames, meta refresh, redirects
- Configuration options, including regex for indexing paths, exclusions and file extensions
- Parallel multithread indexing.
- Indexes html, htm, text, and shtml files.
External filters add indexing of XML, RTF, LaTex/Tex, PDF, Shockwave, Microsoft Word, WordPerfect, and MP3 files.
Enables control over indexing meta tags, including MP3s.
Can access secured pages on password protected sites, including
Windows NTLM authentication.
- Duplicate page detection
Supports Internet plus and minus operators, Boolean operators, attribute search, wild cards, case sensitivity, and numeric data search including greater and lesser operators.
- Option to provide search zones by host, url or path.
"Weight" and "WeakWords" settings allow search admins to control retrieval rankings.
Fully customizable results formatting using templates and variables.
- Standalone search server which can run on any port, and does not require a web server
- Written in C++, binary distribution, source code licensing available
- Free Search Engine Comparison by Yiling Chen compares Alkaline, Fluid Dynamics, ht://Dig, Juggernautsearch, mnoGoSearch, Perlfect, SWISH-E, Webinator, and Webglimpse, concentrating on indexing, query processing, retrieval, and relevance.
Page Modified: 2007-02-15