As of January, 2012, this site is no longer being updated, due to work and health issues
- Enterprise Search: Critical Success Factors, Workshop Slides - KMWorld/Intranets, October 2006
Description search within enterprise intranets, relationship to taxonomy and IA, technical functionality in finding content, creating rich indexes, query processing, recall vs. precision, relevance ranking, successful search interfaces, testing search engine candidates and log analysis, in detail.
- Intranet Search Best Practices - KMWorld/Intranets, October 2006
How to get more out of an intranet search engine - needs analysis, content inventory, rich indexing, date issues, multimedia, dealing with search failure, using analytics to tune, and more.
- Tuning Search - Enterprise Search Summit, May 2006
Description of search metrics and analytics in various forms and examples of how insights from log analysis can improve the content, presentation and functionality of search engines.
- Search Engines 101 - Enterprise Search Summit, May 2006
Workshop: introduction to enterprise search, high-level views and then technical details of robot crawling, indexing issues, security and access control, query processing, retrieval, relevance ranking, search interface, analytics and choosing a search engine.
- Organizing Information For Better Search Results - Intranets, November 2005
Finding and indexing useful content, interfacing with IA, CMSs, multimedia and structured content, and faceted metadata search.
- Search 2005 and Beyond - Intranets, November 2005
The basics -- gathering, indexing, query processing, retrieval, relevance ranking, UI, and log analysis. And then the fun stuff: alerting, IA, taxonomies, faceted metadata, multimedia, compliance, social networking, and personalization.
- Enterprise Search Overview - UC Berkeley School of Information Management and Studies, November 2005
Short explanation of how enterprise search engines work, how they are different from webwide search engines, and the various issues that affect them.
- Search Engine Marketing: A jaundiced view - UC Berkeley School of Information Management and Studies, November 2005
Short explanation of the competing forces in webwide search -- end-users, search engines content publishers and advertisers -- and how it all seems to work now.
- Enterprise Search FAQ - Workshop, Enterprise Search Summit, May 2005
Extensive coverage of various aspects of enterprise search engines for intranets and web sites. Covers gathering and spidering, index issues, query processing, retrieval, relevance ranking, search form and results page user interface, maintenance, search log analysis and issues in choosing a search engine.
- Search Log Analytics, Metrics & Analysis - Enterprise Search Summit, May 2005
Describes what metrics and logs are available for search analysis, what to look for, how to use the tools, comparing navigational and topical search, and examples of addressing problem queries.
- Using Search Engines for Data Discovery on Intranets - Search Engines Meeting, April 2005
The iterative process of crawling an intranet for search also provides a dynamic view of not just the names and types of documents, but the contents.
- Replacing Z39.50 at Last: Using SRW for Federated Search - Internet Librarian, November 2004
Describes the value of federated search among many data sources, the history of Z39.50 as an interchange standard, and the new SRW (Search Retrieve Web Service) as a modern API to simplify the process.
- Library Catalogs and Faceted Metadata Search/Browse - Internet Librarian, November 2004
Faceted metadata allows systems to generate a dynamic browse interface to search results, providing the most flexible and helpful access to information. As library catalogs are entirely composed of metadata, most of it reasonably well faceted, this seems a uniquely good application of this technology.
- Search and Discovery Tools - Intranets 2004, November 2004
Tools for "discovery" (describing the content on Intranets) and "search" (looking in that content), as well as what will come in the near future.
- How Search Engines Work - Enterprise Search Summit, May 2004
Introduction to full-text search, comparisons with database search, and user interface conventions.
- Why Search Fails - Enterprise Search Summit, May 2004
Technical and political reasons why search engine installations fail.
- Search Engine Issues [PDF] - Internet Librarian, November 2002
Summary of current work on Distributed Search, P2P and Metasearch; integrating search and CMS systems, and search and security / authorization / access control systems.
- Search Engine Essentials - Intranets 2002, October, 2002
Back-end functionality, covering indexing complex intranets, multiple languages, improving search results, administration and architecture.
- Databases and Search Engines - Guest Lecture, UC Berkeley School of Information Management and Studies, class 257, September 2002
Explanation of the issues involved with searching text stored in databases.
- Open Source Search Engines and Content Management Systems - OSCOM, September 2002
- Top 10 Problems with Site Search (and Solutions) - Search Engine Strategies, August 2002
- Best Practices for Search Engines - Brown Bag for Web site management group, May 2002
- Distributed Search, Peer to Peer and MetaSearch - Search Engines Meeting April 2002
- Search Engine UI Evolution - BayCHI March 2002
- Site Search That Doesn't Stink - Internet World, December 2001
- Enterprise Information Portals and Intranet Search - Internet Librarian, November 2001
- Implementing Effective Site Search - Web2001, September 2001, San Francisco
- Search Engine Strategies - Internet.com and SearchEngineWatch, August 2001
- Trends in Search Engines - Search Engines Meeting, April 2001
- Extending Site Architecture With Search - Information Architecture Summit, February 2001
- Search Engine Strategies - Internet.com and SearchEngineWatch, November 2000
- Usability of Search - Thunderlizard Usability Web conference, July 2000
- Adding Search to your Site, Intranet, or Portal - OnlineWorld99, November 1999
- Search Engines Robots and Spiders Presentation - UC Berkeley School of Information Management and Studies, October 1999
- Choosing a Search Engine - Thunderlizard Web Design conference, July 1999
- SearchTools Human Interface Presentation - BayCHI, January 1999
If you're looking for upcoming conferences on web search engines, information retrieval and related topics, see the Current Conferences page. We also keep links to Past Conferences, for reference.
Page Updated 2006-10-31